Saturday, January 9, 2010

Sidelined

At 3:13am central time I was up watching the rerun of the BCS Championship. I watched Colt come back on the field with his pads on and start cheering his team on and motivating them to keep playing. For those of you that don't know Colt McCoy, the Texas
star quarterback, got knocked out of the game early with a shoulder injury.

What he went through seems very familiar. I know he prepared for this moment for his whole life and one hit changed everything. Wait, this happens in life sometimes…all the time… right? We prepare for something, get it, then an event out of our control happens that "sidelines" us from the very thing we have been waiting for. I personally would have sat in the locker room
crying if I were Colt. But he put his jersey back on (even though he wasn't playing) and cheered his team on. He was smacking helmets, clapping, and even put on a headset.


His team probably loss because he couldn't play and I'm sure he was hurt more mentally than physically that night. But he wasn't moping and wallowing in self pity. I can admire that.


Whoever said sports aren't an imitation of life
didn't know what they were talking about.

No matter what pads….I mean safeguards we put in place, things still happen to change "our" plans. In 2010, what will you do when your plan takes an unexpected hit? Will you stay in the locker room crying or will you get back on the field?

No comments:

Post a Comment